Today, FEMA announced that Acting Administrator Pete Gaynor appointed 15 members to FEMA’s National Advisory Council (NAC).
The NAC is an advisory committee established by federal law to ensure effective and ongoing coordination of federal emergency management activities. The NAC provides advice to the FEMA Administrator through recommendations on all aspects of emergency management. For example, this year the NAC has examined how to continue building financial preparedness, how to structure the Building Resilient Infrastructure in Communities program, as well as how to help close the insurance gap.
The NAC consists of up to 35 members, including a diverse cross-section of officials, emergency managers, and emergency responders from state, local, tribal and territorial governments and non-governmental organizations, and the private sector. FEMA received more than 90 applications to fill the open positions. The qualifications of each candidate were carefully considered during an intensive review process that included a recommendation panel of senior FEMA leadership.
The 15 NAC members appointed in 2019:
· Steve Birnbaum, President, Resudox Solutions LLC of Arlington, Va.
· Donna Boston, Emergency Management Director of Orange County, Calif.
· Paul Brennan, Director, Pre-Hospital EMS, and Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, Lawrence General Hospital of Lawrence, Mass.
· Charles Esteves, Guam Office of Civil Defense Administrator of Agna Heights, Guam.
· Lori Hodges, Larimer County, Colorado Emergency Management Director of Fort Collins, Colo.
· Nim Kidd, Texas Division of Emergency Management Chief and Texas A&M University System Vice Chancellor of Austin, Texas.
· Jackie Lindsey, New Mexico Cabinet Secretary for Homeland Security and Emergency Management of Sante Fe, NM.
· Nicolette Louissaint, Ph.D., Executive Director, Healthcare Ready of Washington, D.C.
· Warren Miller, state representative, Board of Directors for National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters and National Disaster Field Coordinator, and member of National Baptist Convention USA, Inc. of Madison, Miss.
· Jimmy Patronis, Florida’s Chief Financial Officer of Tallahassee, Fla.
· Carol Salas, Psychology Director, Puerto Rico University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
· James Schwartz, Deputy County Manager of Arlington, Va.
· Carrie Speranza, Chief of Staff, District of Columbia Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency of Washington, D.C.
· Jeff Stern, Director, Virginia Department of Emergency Management of Richmond, Va.
· Bruce Walker, Assistant Secretary for Electricity, U.S. Department of Energy of Washington, D.C.
FEMA will accept NAC membership applications in September 2020 for positions beginning in December 2020. Visit the FEMA website for more information.