Decorate Safely for the Holidays
• Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
• If you do use lit candles, put them in stable holders and place them where they can’t be knocked over.
• Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns. Never leave a burning candle alone.
• Water your Christmas trees every day. A dry tree can easily catch on fire.
• Keep your Christmas tree at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents. Don’t let them block your exits.
• Inspect your holiday lights each year before you put them up. Throw away strands with frayed or pinched wires. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
• Turn off all holiday lights before going to bed or leaving your home.