Rev. Oct 13
Job Title: MAINTENANCE OPERATOR
General manual work in various construction and maintenance activities. Work is performed
under direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
(Essential job functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the
following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY,
and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
Performs maintenance on various grounds, fields, buildings, parks and streets.
Maintains/mows grassy areas using small equipment, hand tools and tractors.
Operates vehicles and light to medium equipment in performing maintenance activities.
Performs preventative maintenance on various vehicles and equipment.
Performs heavy manual labor, such as digging, lifting, placing pipes, laying lines, cleaning
Performs helper and semi-skilled tasks in construction and maintenance.
May be assigned to operate heavier equipment on a temporary, emergency or trainee
Makes daily written and oral reports.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties
performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of the operation of light duty construction/maintenance equipment.
Knowledge of general maintenance & landscape practices and procedures.
Ability to perform heavy manual labor under adverse weather conditions.
Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Skill in operation and maintenance of equipment and tools related to the position.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
(A comparable amount of training or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
Possession of a valid Florida Drivers License.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing.
Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction).
Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid).
Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying.
Balancing, bending, climbing, crawling, kneeling, standing, stooping and walking.
Pulling, pushing, reaching and throwing.
Distinguish colors and odors, depth perception.
Driving and operating equipment.
Works inside and outside in various weather conditions with: chemicals (including herbicides
and pesticides), dust, electrical/radiant energy, fumes, gases, grease/oils, noise, odors and
Poor lighting, slippery and uneven surfaces, vibrations.
Heights, below ground level, confined spaces.
In or around moving vehicles and equipment.
In or around hazardous areas.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
City of Treasure Island, Florida
DEPARTMENT: SALARY: VACANCY DATE:
WPC PUMP MECHANIC
$18.18 – $26.56/hour January 28, 2020
PAY GRADE: CLOSING DATE:
Open Until Filled
This is a highly responsible position that performs a variety of advanced manual labor which includes skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of heavy automotive and construction equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance and replacement of city sewer, street and storm drainage facilities and systems. This position reports to the Division Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Drives trucks and operates equipment of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment and materials.
- Performs daily inspections and preventive maintenance on equipment, lift stations, pumps and tools.
- Ensures that waste water and storm water systems are operated in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Maintains daily log at all stations and maintains needed documentation.
- Performs minor electrical and mechanical repair within the wastewater and storm watersystem.
- Operates various equipment used in the electrical and mechanical trade, such as welding and cutting equipment, electrical meters and related hand tools.
- Performs minor repair on pumps, motors and blowers.
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety all field crew members under supervision.
- Responsible for the maintenance and routine inspection of all equipment, tools and vehicles in the division.
- Maintains documents related to the operation and maintenance of the main lift and satellite stations.
- Must be able to carry an on-call phone provided by the City and be available to respond to emergencies in a relatively short period of time.These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalency (GED)
- Five (5) years’ experience in municipal or County Public Works relating to the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, motors and electrical panels in a wastewater / storm water system.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of modern techniques, methods, procedures and practices of providing and maintaining municipal infrastructure.
- Ability to instruct and evaluate work assignments of personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates andthe general public; and possess excellent people skills.
- Ability to act as Division Crew Chief when necessary.
- Ability to respond to after-hours call-ins in a relatively short period of time.
- Ability to comply with work schedules.
- Regularly required to use hands to feel, handle and operate controls and tools.
- Ability to make minor electrical and mechanical repairs to various types of motors, pumps and other related equipment.
- Ability to use a PC, Microsoft Office Applications, smart phone and tablets.
- Knowledge of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Florida Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) preferred or must obtain it within six months of hire.
- Possession of Class “C” wastewater and storm water certificate is highly desirable or must obtain it within six months of hire.ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS• Acceptable eyesight (with or without corrections)
• Acceptable hearing (with or without aid)
• Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
• Ability to lift more than 25 lbs. on a frequent basis and occasionally lift more than 75 lbs. • Ability to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, see and smellENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONSWorks both indoors and outside and will be exposed to outside weather elements.Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.