July 20, 2020
APWA offers several advocacy tools to our members to voice your expertise and opinions to elected officials at the federal level. It is critical public works professionals use these advocacy tools to share your stories of continuing to provide essential services and facing new challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. Your efforts will help ensure the resources you need are available and distributed appropriately. Access these tools and stay apprised of APWA Government Affairs by following @APWAGOVAFFAIRS on Twitter and checking out our website for daily updates to APWA Advocacy News, Action Alerts, Advocacy Letters, InfoNow communities, public works research and our 116th Congress Public Policy Priorities.
- APWA Advocacy Tools
- APWA offers several advocacy tools to our members to voice your expertise and opinions to elected officials at the federal level.
- House Continues Work on FY 2021 Spending Bills
- The House is set to vote on a set of fiscal year (FY) 2021 appropriations bills this week.
- Congress Returns to Session to Work on Next COVID-19 Relief Package
- Following the Independence Day holiday, both chambers will be back in session this week.
- House Committee Approves Water Resources Legislation
- In an unanimous vote, the House Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure approved H.R. 7575, the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2020.
- White House Announces Major Revisions to Permitting Regulations
- On July 15, President Trump announced his administration is scaling back requirements that agencies consider environmental consequences when approving new oil wells, pipelines, highways and other projects.
Materials & More
- White House Launches “Find Something New” Ad Campaign
- July 14, the White House’s American Workforce Policy Advisory Board launched an ad campaign and educational initiative focused on alternative career paths titled, “Find Something New.”
- FEMA Releases Updated Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide
- Last week, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced the Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (IAPPG) has been revised and is now open for public comment until August 24, 2020.
- CISA Hosts NECP Webinar
- July 22 at 1:00 p.m. ET, the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has scheduled a webinar on the implementation of the National Emergency Communication Plan(NECP).
- July 21 at 10:00 a.m. ET, the House Committee on Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight is scheduled to hold a hearing titled, “Pathway to a Vaccine…;”
- July 21 at 10:00 a.m. ET, the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis has scheduled a hearing titled, “The Urgent Need for a National Plan to Contain the Coronavirus;”
- July 21 at 2:30 p.m. ET, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, & Consumer Protection has scheduled a hearing to examine the protection of Americans from COVID-19 Scams;
- July 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, & the Internet has scheduled a hearing titled, “The State of U.S. Spectrum Policy.”
American Public Works Association